Saturday, April 23, 2011

The important role of a citizen scientist

Happy Earth Day!
In honor of this special day I spent most of the day outdoors, albeit a cold, rainy, grey one. The benefit of numb limbs is that I was able to be present and conscious of the spring life going on around me. And I thought about our many naturalists and volunteers who swelter and freeze from the elements in the name of plucking that last stubborn garlic mustard sprout or teaching children about maple syrup tapping.

I came inside and found the story of Debbie Worland and her Swift Parrots of Muckleford. Debbie is a citizen scientist donating her time to save the endangered Swift Parrot. There are only 1200 breeding pairs and little is known about their dietary patterns, until Debbie created a documentary with her camcorder.

Alot can be accomplished with a few dedicated volunteers...cheers to you all!

What would you do if you knew you could not fail? -Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment